Superfoods are now part of mainstream living yet we sometimes don’t realize how beautifully they can be substitutes for foods and beverages we consume every day that are suboptimal. Here’s a creative list of superfoods you’re going to want to consume to help slow down the aging process. Learn how to make the switches and why you would want to below. A pure vegetarian diet is not necessarily optimal for everybody so please don’t read that we are preaching that in this article. Reducing one food or beverage in favor of another however can make for a balanced and much better diet. For some it may even open the door to a full vegan diet when their bodies respond well to it. When we say “switch” below, please view it as a possibility and not an absolute.
1) Switch from french fries to baked sweet potato wedges with a yummy avocado sauce. Sweet potatoes can help keep the skin firm.
2) Switch from candy to fresh berries. Berries’ high antioxidant content can help repair skin and maintain sharp brain function.
3) Switch often from beef to beans. They facilitate heart health and reduce inflammation including inflammation of the skin.
4) Switch from wheat bread and cereals to breads and cereals made from oats. Oats contain lots of B vitamins so good for skin health and tone.
5) Sunlight gives us vitamin D but rather than spend too much time in the searing sun, why not place more focus on eating vitamin D rich foods like salmon, shrimp, oysters, sardines, and mushrooms?
6) Switch from salt to sprinkling curry powder (a mixture of finely ground spices like turmeric, ginger, and coriander). Curry powders fortify brain cells and help keep you sharp as a tack.
7) Switch from milk chocolate to antioxidant rich dark chocolate which contains an enormous dose of free radical fighting antioxidants. The higher the percentage of cacao the higher the dose of antioxidants. Look for bars with a minimum of 70% cacao. Cacao also contains procyanidin B-2 which protects brain cells from inflammation and is known to arrest the production of pro-inflammatory chemicals which are released in the skin.
8) Switch from animal fats to fats from nuts and seeds. Plant sources of monounsaturated fats are also rich in heart healthy vitamins, polyphenols and polyunsaturated fats. Animal fats contain a high degree of saturated fat and cholesterol which contribute to heart disease.
9) Switch from beef burgers and steaks to lots of dense leafy greens like spinach and kale. These greens have absorbed powerful solar energy and deliver light to your body in every forkful. Their nutrients also fortify bones, improve vision and increase physical energy. Pound for pound there’s more protein in dark leafy greens than in beef.
10) Switch from pharmacological sleep aids to a glass of red wine before bed. Red wine’s high antioxidant content improves cardiovascular health and improves the skin. Studies are showing regular sensible red wine consumption may prevent Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
11) Switch from dairy fat cream cheese to almond butter which is full of healthy anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fatty acids. Almonds moisturize the skin from the inside out while soothing and calming the skin.
12) Switch from vegetable oil to avocado oil. Avocado oil is even better for you than olive oil. Research is showing that antioxidant rich avocado oil may be the best oil for preventing and slowing down the aging process. Avocado contains a good amount of anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fatty acids similar to olive oil, and it contains far fewer harmful saturated fats and more of Omega-3 fatty acids than olive oil. Avocado oil has a high smoking point so you can sautée with it as easily and safely as you can drizzle it on a salad.
13) Switch from using empty calorie croutons to sunflower seeds which are a great source of vitamins E, B and copper. Soak the seeds for several hours, then drain and rinse. You may want to season them with garlic powder, cayenne, curry powder or your favorite spice before baking or drying. Spread the seeds on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about five minutes. If you have a dehydrator, spread on a dehydrator sheet and dry for a few hours until nice and crunchy.
14) Switch some of your coffee intake to green tea if you get jittery from the caffeine in coffee. Green tea, especially matcha green tea, balances energy with calm resulting in a jitter-free energizing drink! The polyphenols and catechins in green tea are proven to be 100 times more effective than vitamin C in fighting free radicals which cause aging. The higher the quality of green tea, the higher the dose of antioxidants. Matcha green tea is most potent and ceremonial grade of matcha is highest.
15) Switch iceberg lettuce for watercress as the primary green in your salad. Watercress is dense with antioxidants and minerals and activates a series of genes that flood the body with self-protective enzymes thereby boosting the immune system. Watercress has diuretic properties that help remove toxins from the body, is believed to prevent cancer, and helps maintain both eye and skin health.
16) Switch from white sugar to cinnamon. It’s an anti-inflammatory spice which regulates blood sugar and works to keep skin wrinkle free.
Youn, Anthony. The Age Fix: a Leading Plastic Surgeon Reveals How to Really Look 10 Years Younger. Grand Central Life and Style, 2017.